Re: Brand new engine started knocking - need suggestions

To: "Ulix Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>, "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brand new engine started knocking - need suggestions
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 19:38:24 -0700
Ulix-
About a year ago I told you that I never again would bore a 1275 out to a
1380.  The sound you describe is exactly what mine sounded like.  I hope the
problem is not what I encountered.  In my engine, the cylinder wall flex was
so great that the pistons slapped fore and aft, tearing up the cylinder
walls and destroying the rings, pistons, and rendering the block useless.
As with your engine's symptoms, there was no increase in volume with load or
engine temperature, just that the sound rhythm matched the engine RPM's and
was best described as a diesel type rattle.
David Riker
74 Midget
63 Falcon
70 Torino