Re: What's going on with my distributor?

To: Charles Sorkin <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: What's going on with my distributor?
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 17:50:38 -0400
Cc: Spridgets List <spridgets@autox.team.net>, MGs List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Charles Sorkin wrote:

> Dear List:
>
> I spent part of the afternoon balancing my carburettors, checking my valve
> clearances and trying to set the timing.  No vacuum leaks were found, and no
> other unusual things were discovered with the exception of the fact that
> when I turned the distributor 15 degrees advanced and retarded, and no
> changes occured in engine behavior, roughness of running, or idle speed.
>
> What could possibly be the problem?

Distributor weights, springs, or vacuum advance not right.
Weights stuck, weight springs off, v/advance not connected causint the
points plate to move on it's own with vibration.

To check the weights, remove the dizzy, spin the shaft, you can hear the
weights clicking. If not, remove the points plate, look at the 2 tiny
springs down in the belly of the dizzy, if they are hooked up, oil the
weights while in there, replace the points plate and be sure the spring
from the v/advance is hooked onto the plate.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ