Re: Lot rot (brake systems) and wheel bearing shims.

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lot rot (brake systems) and wheel bearing shims.
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 14:21:17 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
The only way pre-tensioning of the axle 'strengthens' the axle is in its
ability to resist compressive loads.  This is not the type of load the axle
is subjected to, hence, pretensioning has no effect other than to weaken it
by bringing it a small bit closer to a failure through tension.  Tension IS
a force the axle is subjected to.  IMHO