advice on head/driving lamps

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: advice on head/driving lamps
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:02:08 EDT
We have had a 1971 Midget that has the  turn signal, high/low/flash
combination switch for about ten days.  It has been converted to halogen
sealed beams.  Driving lights have been added by putting a two to one
connector in the blue with white stripe high beam wire in front of the
radiator. The high beams and driving lights did not work either at the high
beam setting or the flash setting when we  got it.  The problem is in the
combination switch.  It has no continuity between the purple wire and the
blue/white wire in high beam or flash positions.  I have ordered a new
combination switch.

My question to the list is what is the best way to install driving lights to
keep from having elect problems?

Should the driving lights and/or the halogen sealed beams be put on separate
circuits with relays to keep from burning the contacts out of the combination
switch?  There is a 30 amp fuse in the 7-8 position on the fuse block.  Would
that be the correct size? Lots of smaller wire for interior lamps, boot lamp,
etc also connected to that fuse. Comments and suggestions on how to get this
right would be appreciated.

Alex Holsinger
1971 Midget
Tulsa, Oklahoma