White smoke after warm-up: What does this mean?

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: White smoke after warm-up: What does this mean?
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 12:14:31 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Hello Spridgeteers:

Many thanks again to those who have answered my questions.  I am completing
my first tune-up (made much easier by the Motorhead video), and have two
questions for the list.

1.  Am am adjusting the timing.  What does 6 degrees BDTC mean?  I have
three little triangles on the bottom of my pulley.  The book says each of
the triangles represents 5 degrees.  My guess is that 6 degrees BDTC means
that the timing should be 1/5 of the way between the small triangle to the
right of the big one, and the last small triangle.  Is this correct?

2.  When my bugeye warms up (top heater hose hot), it starts putting out a
lot of white smoke.  My guess is that this means I'm burning coolant.  What
should I do to remedy this problem?  If it makes any difference, compression
tests revealed that the cylinders all had 135-150 psi of compression.  I
have not tuned the carbs yet (will do that that tonight).

Thanks in advance to helping out this rookie!  I've got a week before I
start a new job and want to have the bugeye up and running before then!

Thanks,
Cliff

Cliff Kenwood
Baton Rouge, Louisiana