25 out of 26

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: 25 out of 26
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 20:36:45 -0400
I finally managed to get the washer off the third gear in the ribcase,
and found that there was a nice space where the twenty-sixth needle
bearing should have been. The other twenty five were in great shape. The
other bearing seems to have simply been left out. I have always felt
that anytime a mechanical device is rebuilt, you should always replace
the bearings, no matter what the condition of the old bearings are.
However, is it as inadvisable to replace a single needle bearing? The
old ones look like new, but they must be worn some, I would think. Just
curious. Also, I took a ride in a real nice Bugeye today. Ran great.
Nice restoration. The guy said it had a 1275 Cooper S engine. Also had
one of the quietest ribcases I have heard. He said the secret was to add
a half bottle of motor honey to the oil in the ribcase. Any possible
detriment?
Bill Mantz
1959 Bugeye
1971 Midget