Re[2]: Tachometer

To: Bill <pythias@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re[2]: Tachometer
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 16:31:28 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Roger,

The chrome ring on the face of the tach has several tabs that must be
aligned to slots in the front lip of the housing. Turn the ring so
that the tabs line up, and pull the ring away from the housing. NOTE:
there often is degraded sealant under the chrome ring. In combination
with rust on the housing, this makes turning the chrome ring very
difficult. DO NOT try to cheat by simply bending back the tabs on the
chrome ring. They will snap way more easily than one suspects. If you
have trouble turning the chrome ring, try a little penetrating oil
around its edges. Once the ring is off, you will need to get the
glass off. The glass is a friction fit into the front of the housing.
There are various "knobblies" sticking out of the back of the
housing. They are connected to the innards of the tach. For most of
the instruments that I've disassembled, pushing on the knobblies,
after you've unscrewed the screws on the back, will press the tach
innards against the glass and it will pop out. DO NOT attempt to pry
the glass out by jamming a small screw driver or somesuch in between
the edge of the glass and the edge of the housing; the glass will
chip. Again, I've found penetrating oil to help here. Also, press on
the knobblies with the instrument face down on a pad. In essence,
you're pressing on the knobblies with one hand while pulling up in
the housing with the other. This has worked for me on several tachs
and speedos. Now if I can just get them to stay working.

Good luck,

Jeff