Idle quality with VP7 cam

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Idle quality with VP7 cam
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 11:29:51 -0700
Hi List,

After moving, I drove my Sprite again for the first time.
There are still a couple of problems (besides the slight engine knock that
hasn't changed).  It runs smoothly and strongly up to about 4000 or 4500
under load when it starts sputtering.  I will install my A/F ratio gauge to
see if it is a mixture problem.

The question, however, is how smooth should my idle be?
I have a 1380 with a CR that was supposed to be 9.5 but it runs great on 87
octane, so I think it is lower.
Stock carbs with new oversize shafts that have been cut in half and filed
down per Vizard.
Stock intake with smoothed bends per Vizard.
Stock exhaust system.
VP7 cam with APT springs, stock rockers.
Engine balanced.

The idle is very rough at rpms of 1000 or lower.  It runs smoothly at 1500
and above.  I have not done a really thorough check for vacuum leaks, but
all gaskets are new and the throttle shafts are new oversized ones.

So, to make a long story into a short question:  Do you have a VP7 cam?  If
so, how is your idle?

Thanks,
http://www.mirafiori.com/~ulix/               '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9