Re: blown clutch

To: Bryan Vandiver <Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM>
Subject: Re: blown clutch
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 20:27:47 -0400
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Hi Bryan,

Sorry I didn't get to spend some time with you at Palo Alto.  Wonder how
that happened?  Time sure flies when you're seeing lots of cars and
friends.

The TO bearing should be pulled off the clutch cover completely when there
is no depression of the clutch pedal.  There is already a stiff return
spring on the TO Bearing carrier in the Datsun setup.  The only way that
could be overcome is when the clutch pedal is depressed.  It's strong
enough to overcome the spring in the slave cylinder with ease.

It's entirely possible that some folks have not installed the return spring
because they didn't get one with their used transmission and had no idea
there was supposed to be one in there.

Where would you be putting an additional return spring on the clutch TO
arm?

Regards, Paul

<Glen,

<Sorry to here about the problem. One thing that has been bothering me
about the
5-speed that I still need to address, is the fact, that the TO bearing
doesn't
completely disengage itself from the clutch when there is no pressure on
the
pedal. I am planning to install a  clutch fork return spring to be sure
that the
TO bearing will disengage completely and stop spinning when not in use.

< - Bryan