Re: Amazing top speeds? Was: Oh Sh#%

To: Charles Sorkin <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Amazing top speeds? Was: Oh Sh#%
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 21:25:49 -0400
Cc: Spridgets List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Charles Sorkin wrote:

> How is it that folks are able to claim such high speeds on "Stock"
> spridgets?  On my '74 Midget, I am at approximately 4500 rpms well into the
> mid 70mph range.  My yellow line starts at 5500, I think.  So that would put
> me in the mid 80mph area.
>
> How does one safely accelerate to well above 100mph without going over the
> redline?  Even with a 4.2 differential and uprated valve springs, it seems
> tough to do.

Charles

1972, I owned a bone stock 67 Sprite (1275) I took it down the Parkway
and I had the speedo needle on the "E" in Main Beam I would guess this
at 115 mph.
But the BOOK SAYS it will never do 100 mph! The tach was burried too.
At that spped in one of these little cars you don't spend too much time
staring at the dials ;)
Yes I had a tail wind and yes the front end becomes very light at around
95+ mph.
Remember in 1972 I was 17, safty was the last thing on my mind.
Then I bought a brand new Triumph S*itfire with the then new 1500 cc
engine which was really a dished piston 1296 engine. It never saw 100
mph as it spun a main bearing at about 90.
The fastest I have ever gone in an LBC was 140 mph in a Triumph GT6 with
bald tires. THAT WAS TOO FAST!

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ