Selfish Promotion: Eastern NY MGA Club Gymkhana

To: "'Spridgets'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Selfish Promotion: Eastern NY MGA Club Gymkhana
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 14:57:49 +0100charset=iso-8859-1
Another selfish promotion of our club event.  Our annual Gymkhana has once
again arrived.

Ever mildly contemplate racing away when you see those rotating lights in
your mirror?  Ever wonder if you could outmaneuver those Crown Vics with
your sports car.  Now's your chance to find out.

Our Gymkhana is a standard "fun" Gymkhana, but driven on the NY Police
Department's training course on an old WW2 Air Force Base.  Floyd Bennett
Field, to be exact.

Decreasing radius turns, slaloming through cones, and speed sections.  No,
you don't have to reverse into anything on the course.

Some of you MUST be dying to try out their car on a police course.  Ever
watch Police Academy and think "I can do that!"  I did,  and it's not that
easy,  but easily the most fun I've ever had driving a car.  How the PD does
this course in those big cars, and vans I have NO idea.

It's Saturday, October 7th at 10AM in Brooklyn NY with a rain date of the
14th.  Usually lasts till a little after noon.  Registration is limited to
35 cars.  Contact Jon Rubel of the Eastern NY MGA club at 718-891-5776 if
you plan on attending. At last I checked, we had 20 cars signed up.  So call
soon.

Afterwards,  the whole group goes to Nicks Lobster House, one of the best
seafood places in the city where you pick your lobster from a 4' X 10' tank
crammed with live lobsters.  The food is good, and the prices are
reasonable.   The cost is $15 to participate per car.  Lunch is separate.

Just to answer a few common questions:

1) You DO NOT have to bring British iron.  Any car will do.
        You don't even have to OWN a British car.
2) You don't have to tear up the course.  Go as fast as
        you choose is safe.  We usually have three practice
        runs so you get a feel for the course, and then the
        three timed laps.  Every year we have a couple that
        have a great time driving the course in an old Ford
        Escort at 5-10 MPH.
3) Awards are given based on engine size.  All I remember
        for sure is that there is a 1500-1600cc class.
4) Roll bars aren't required.  We really don't go that fast.
5) YES, bring that camera.  Field people love taking pictures
        of you whipping around the course with your own camera.

Directions:  Take Belt Parkway to Flatbush Avenue SOUTH Exit. Make the last
left turn before the bridge (about 200' before the toll booths) and enter
Gateway National Recreation Area (Formerly Floyd Bennett AFB).  Keep driving
straight to the end, and make a left at the Tee.  (I think it's a TEE,  it
might be a loop i.e. you have to make a left).  GO straight till you see the
NYPD - No not enter sign.  Then enter.  Go straight a little more, and look
left.  You'll see the group lined up.  Or you'll see the cones set up if
your early.

To get to the Belt Parkway:

>From South Jersey, PA, and below:  Get to Staten Island and take the
Verrazano Bridge.  Go East on the Belt Parkway (The exit is on the very end
of the Bridge)

>From Westchester, CT and North:  Take 95 South to the Whitestone Bridge.
Take the Van Wycke South towards Kennedy Airport.  At the end of the Van
Wyke (exit 2, I think) go WEST on the Belt Parkway.

>From Central/North Jersey:  Take the GWB, Lincoln Tunnel, or Holland Tunnel
to the West Side Highway south.  Either take the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, or
the Brooklyn Bridge to the BQE South towards the Verrazano Bridge.  At the
fork on the BQE, DO NOT go towards the Bridge.  Take the sign that reads
Belt Parkway.

If you need further directions, or want more information,  feel free to call
me or email me.

I hope you take part in this.  It's a great time.

Michael
'78 Midget

CREDIT | FIRST
SUISSE | BOSTON
FID Product Control
Eleven Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10010
(212)325-8646

Take the Brooklyn, Manhattan, or Williamsberg Bridge

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information.  No
If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all
sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute,
recipient. CREDIT SUISSE GROUP and each of its subsidiaries each reserve
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any
views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except
where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state
them to be the views of any such entity.
Unless otherwise stated, any pricing information given in this message is
indicative only, is subject to change and does not constitute an offer to
deal at any price quoted.
Any reference to the terms of executed transactions should be treated as
preliminary only and subject to our formal written confirmation.