Re: Tool choice

To: Daniel1312@aol.com
Subject: Re: Tool choice
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 21:18:48 -0500
Cc: JustBrits@aol.com, bmantz@infi.net, spridgets@autox.team.net

Daniel1312@aol.com wrote:

> Well the torque wrench was one of my very early purchases, gets little use
> and works ok.  The wrenches that were much later purchases saw a lot of use,
> had flakey chrome, opened ends and went out with the rubbish as each one was
> replaced by a Snap-on.

  OK, but you don't say who made the wrenches.  I still have a craftsman
1/2 -9/16" open endwrench that lost a bit of chrome after 20 years of
use.  Doesn't mean it won't turn a nut/bolt, though.

> The compression tester was in 3 parts:  the dial and a lead, the re-set lead
> section and an alternative lead section.  Only the re-set is bust but because
> I cannot contact the manufacturer (no address/brand details) I cannot get a
> spare part.  With the Snap-On stuff I can all types of itty-bitty spares like
> a clip for the drawer runner on my roll cab.

  Uhuh, and if you'd told your SO dealer that you loaned out the tester,
and it came back non-op, he'd have told you to shove it.  Doesn't matter
what brand it is.

> SO, maybe the craftsman stuff is cheaper for the same quality as Snap-On - as
> far as I know, it is not obviously available here in the UK.  Britool stuff
> is English and quite good but is not as good as the Snap-On.  What else am I
> meant to buy?

 If you have no first-hand knowledge of the quality of Craftsman tools,
you shouldn't criticize them.  I know nothing of your Brit-Tek stuff so
I'll keep mum about them.  You buy waht you want.  Just don't criticize
what you have no knowledge of.

In destructive tool testing a british car magazine found that
> Snap-On came out way ahead of every other brand of spanner they tested
> (Craftsman were not tested).

  See above.

  Cheers,

  CR