Re: Tool choice

To: ccrobins@ktc.com
Subject: Re: Tool choice
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 13:52:38 EDT
Cc: JustBrits@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
I think the wrenches were no-name made in India and Gedore also some Chrome
Vanadium.

Snap-On dealers do vary.  I thought the local one was grumpy so I used the
one near work instead.  'Shove it' is not in the vocabulary of the Snap-On
dealer I use and one of them really went out of his way to help.

I don't recall criticising Crapsman tools or any of your tools I just made
the point that you get what you pay for.  A fresh point I will make is that
Snap-On have a patented system known as Flank Drive Plus that your local
dealer will demonstrate to you by reference to one or more demonstration aids
they have.  It proved to me that their Flank Drive Plus system will allow a
greater turning force to be applied to any given nut when compared to
conventional spanners.

1312

In a message dated 16/10/00 03:31:19 GMT Daylight Time, ccrobins@ktc.com
writes:

<<
 Daniel1312@aol.com wrote:

 > Well the torque wrench was one of my very early purchases, gets little use
 > and works ok.  The wrenches that were much later purchases saw a lot of
use,
 > had flakey chrome, opened ends and went out with the rubbish as each one
was
 > replaced by a Snap-on.

   OK, but you don't say who made the wrenches.  I still have a craftsman
 1/2 -9/16" open endwrench that lost a bit of chrome after 20 years of
 use.  Doesn't mean it won't turn a nut/bolt, though.

 > The compression tester was in 3 parts:  the dial and a lead, the re-set
lead
 > section and an alternative lead section.  Only the re-set is bust but
because
 > I cannot contact the manufacturer (no address/brand details) I cannot get a
 > spare part.  With the Snap-On stuff I can all types of itty-bitty spares
like
 > a clip for the drawer runner on my roll cab.

   Uhuh, and if you'd told your SO dealer that you loaned out the tester,
 and it came back non-op, he'd have told you to shove it.  Doesn't matter
 what brand it is.

 > SO, maybe the craftsman stuff is cheaper for the same quality as Snap-On -
as
 > far as I know, it is not obviously available here in the UK.  Britool stuff
 > is English and quite good but is not as good as the Snap-On.  What else am
 > meant to buy?

  If you have no first-hand knowledge of the quality of Craftsman tools,
 you shouldn't criticize them.  I know nothing of your Brit-Tek stuff so
 I'll keep mum about them.  You buy waht you want.  Just don't criticize
 what you have no knowledge of.

 In destructive tool testing a british car magazine found that
 > Snap-On came out way ahead of every other brand of spanner they tested
 > (Craftsman were not tested).

   See above.

   Cheers,

   CR >>