Re: Periodic water pump maintenance

To: Charles Sorkin <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Periodic water pump maintenance
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 21:20:11 -0400
Cc: Spridgets List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Charles Sorkin wrote:

> Good evening folks...  I'm having a tough time finding the procedure in the
> manual (if one is even required) for periodic maintenance and lubrication of
> the water pump.  How do I do it, and how often is recommended?

I believe you have to take it apart, press out the bearing and repack it
with grease. I may be wrong but other than an impeller and a bearing,
there is nothing in there. Today a "maintainance free" (meaning toss it
when it quits) aluminum water pump is about all that is available. (I do
have one NOS cast iron pump but it is 40 years old)
At about $35 new, why dis-assemble your old?
There are shops that will rebuild old water pumps too.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ