Re: Tensile strength of bolts in re: Torque

To: DLancer7676@cs.com
Subject: Re: Tensile strength of bolts in re: Torque
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 05:47:09 -0500
Cc: tob.sprite.landcruiser@home.com, boxweed@thebest.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
  Hi Dave,

   First, thanks for the Bowman excerpt.  It expands on some other info
I found on the Bolt Science website <www.boltscience.com>.  Interested
parties can take a look.

  I note that in the last sentence of the Bowman excerpt, it says:

"The reuse of a capscrew is not as critical as a nut, PROVIDING  the
user is certain the capscrew was properly installed and maintained
during its previous service and
that the bolt did not experience yield."

  Note the part about the bolt not experiencing yield.  IOW, not
stretched beyond its elastic limits.  This tells us that if the bolt
hasn't been overtightened, it hasn't lost its tensile strength and may
be reused.  We'll get the same preload the second time around.

  I rest my case.

  Cheers,

  CR