Re: 75 Midget

To: Rick & Carolyn <walters@mail.softcom.net>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 75 Midget
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 11:14:45 -0700
Hi Rick,

You know I still almost never see your posts until someone else responds to
it. Yours still always appear waaay before the current incoming messages.
Anyway, earlier this year I had a '75 and wentthrough all the smog stuff
with it. Only cars originally shipped to Ca. has CATs. Mine was a Florida
car that entered Ca. in it's first year, so it was a Federal model and did
not have a CAT converter. It was not a problem to get smogged and actually
the smog requirments are identical anyway. Your problem may be the dual
carbs, If their SUs, that was a UK spec only. The way to tell if it's
original (maybe from Canada?) is by the sticker on the valance under the
hood (just in front of the radiator) There should be one that shows an
illustration of the carb(s) and how to set them. I'm not sure if the smog
stations computer will tell them one carb or two, but when(if) the time
comes, you should do a pre-test first. They will usually charge you a basic
fee, that you will pay again for the real test, but a pre-test does not get
recorded with the state. This way it gives you a chance to make corrections
before you get labeled as a gross polluter. I can tell you that my '75
(with about 70k on it) rated way below the limits, and the smog pump and
air injection was there for visual only and wasn't actually functioning
(remember no CAT either). These engines apparently run really clean, but
the stickers under the hood will determine what should be on the car.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of further help.

Gerard

--
Please visit Four Points Travel -
Discount Online Hotel Reservations in the U.S.

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com
   A A