Re: Cams re deux

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cams re deux
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 23:09:05 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Larry,
I fitted a "285" cam to my UK spec 1500 (twin SUs)

The figures are:
Power band 2200 - 6800
Vale timing 34-76 58-34
Duration 290deg, 272 deg
Valve lift 0.44"

Now I don't know what half of that means, but I can tell you that it
runs and pulls better than it used to with the standard cam. It ticks
over at 800 rpm, and pulls smoothly. It will run in 3rd gear on
tickover, foot off the gas pedal without snatching.
As you will know, I have an o/d gearbox fitted so I did not want to
loose low down torque as most of my motoring is done between 3500 and
4500 rpm.

Only engine mods are LCB manifold, K & Ns, polished and ported head
(DIY job, following an old Triumph tuning guide) and skimmed head to
raise the compresion a bit. (can't remember the calculations now, but
did work them out once)

I also got the crank micropolished and flywheel lightened and then
balanced as a unit.

I am pleased enough with it. It drives nicely but is noisy. Lots of
mechanical noise, but I think it is all getting a bit "loose" now at
105,000.
My 1275, with equivalent mods, runs and revs much more smoothly, and
just generally fells a happier motor!

Guy