Re: Midgets and Datsun 210 Transmissions

To: Guy Weller <guy@weller-lakes.greatxscape.net>
Subject: Re: Midgets and Datsun 210 Transmissions
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 17:49:21 -0400
Cc: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>, David Riker <davidr@sunset.net>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Guy Weller wrote:
> Yes, the tranny with o/d is the same as the standard unit, but the
> output shaft is different for mating to the o/d unit.

  ...the general consensus is that it's invariably easier
and usually cheaper to buy the OD and tranny together. Even
though technically your tranny can be made to work, it's
hard to get the parts and it's a fair bit of dismantling.

> There were also (at least) 2 types of o/d unit fitted, the later one
> being slightly better.

  Do you have more info on this? I don't know which one
I have. Can you tell visually, or by serial?

> If you find a box I can send you a sketch of the details of the sub
> frame/ gearbox mounting that I designed for mine when I fitted it.

  I have a bit of stuff collected on my site here:

http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/midget/midget_overdrive.html

  ...which includes my info and photos, a link to your
story, and another listers photos who doesn't have a web
site.

  All of the subframes are pretty close to the same,
there are many ways to do it correctly.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca