Re: Overdrive J types was Re: Midgets and Datsun 210 Transmissions

To: Daniel1312@aol.com
Subject: Re: Overdrive J types was Re: Midgets and Datsun 210 Transmissions
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 14:37:57 -0400
Cc: guy@weller-lakes.greatxscape.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Daniel1312@aol.com wrote:
> There are o/d units with an output flange at each end that you could use if
> you really wanted.

  Hmm, have you ever seen these used in a practical application?

  Sounds like a possibility for that "really tough conversion" but
you'd have to find a way to mount this thing totally on it's
own and carry the weight and vibration.

> I would be grateful if you guys could let me have the respective weights of a
> stock 1500 box and the overdrive box, with a seperate weight for the
> bellhousing.

  Um... the overdrive weighs more. ;> It's $80 US to ship from
Austin TX to Ottawa Canada, do you have a UPS shipping guide
and can work it out?

  As for the effect on the car itself, neither tranny is
particularily heavy so I doubt the difference is significant. I
can pick either one up fairly easily and throw them in the
trunk, carrying them down stairs, etc.

> I think the Triumph/1500 Midget was the single rail box with J type o/d.

  Yep.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca