Re: Quote

To: busyrider@springmail.com, britclas@WorldShare.net
Subject: Re: Quote
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 11:18:14 EST
Cc: froggi@cdsnet.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 10/27/2000 6:55:20 PM Mountain Standard Time,
busyrider@springmail.com writes:

> Possibly, but this has also been used by the pro-gun lobby  as part of
their
> propaganda campaign to aid in their casuse to convince others that
automatic
> weapons and handguns are needed for sporting purposes, and also by high
> school students for use between classes.
>
>  Fred Criswell

Fred,

I should have replied to this off list as I promised to keep the gun stuff
off the list for a while since the last firestorm, but the Midget is not
running and I don't have time to fix it so here goes.

No one...I repeat no one has tried to convince anyone that automatic weapons
are needed for any sporting purpose.  Get the facts right.  People who do not
know the difference in a semi-automatic, or autoloading weapon and an
automatic weapon (read "machine gun") do not have enough information to make
comments or decisions about what weapons should be needed or not.

My father, rest his soul, taught me to hunt some 40 years ago, with an
autoloading shotgun.  The weapons we used, and I still use, are not military,
are only manufactured for sporting use, and should not be painted with the
same brush as military "automatic" weapons by the uninformed and misguided.

For what it's worth, I've only seen one pistol in my 51 years of life that
was automatic, and that was a WWI relic.  I have never seen, or even heard of
an automatic pistol for sale at any gun store, or gun show.

I guess the high school kids are different in your part of the world.  99.9 %
of them around here are too busy chasing the opposite sex (I hope) and waxing
their cars to have much time for guns between classes.  There are some scum
that do the wrong thing, and even here they are often only slaped on the
wrist.  Keep in mind, and I would not have replied if I didn't think you have
one, that a gun never harmed anyone of it's own volition.

Go ahead and buy the anti-gun, everything will be beautiful in the new world
(bravo sierra), but reread the Quote and remember another one "those who do
not learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

RH...corney yes, but "from my cold dead fingers"!!!!