Re: battery quick disconnect

To: BCAH@aol.com
Subject: Re: battery quick disconnect
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 00:13:45 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
BCAH@aol.com wrote:

> Does anyone know the reason for those quick disconnect fittings being only
> designed for the neg /ground terminal? Obviously disconnecting either
> terminal would shut down the electrical system. For my positive ground Bugeye
> I would have to either put it on the "hot" neg terminal or grind out the
> fitting to get it on the pos terminal. Are there any scientific types out
> there that can come up with a reason one way or the other?      Just
> curious,-----Bob Chamberlain

  Although it's less important with a battery disconnect, it
could be a slight holdover from the important safety practice
of removing the "chassis lead" no matter what polarity your
car is.

  Simple reason, if you are working on the "hot" lead and
touch anything with the wrench, you get a white hot wrench
and a really sore hand for a month or two.

  If you are working on the "chassis" lead and hit the
chassis with the wrench, nothing happens. Then once the
chassis lead is off, the other is safe.

  It's likely a carryover from there.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.