More questions

To: DuhCaddyhm <wadleigh@syix.com>
Subject: More questions
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 09:22:06 -0500
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hi Sue,

If the engine timing chain was assembled properly on the sprockets, the
timing won't "go out" to 180 degree off.  It's simply a result of some
assembly being wrong.  The drive gear off the camshaft can be put in 180
degrees off or for that matter, any point in between.  The distributor will
fit in this gear but one way as it has an offset drive.  If the timing
chain was never touched, or the drive gear never out, the most likely cause
would be simply gettig your reference point wrong in replacing the plug
wires in the distributor cap.  Should you have a side entry cap, it sort of
easier to mix up the wires.  Also, #1 cylinder is always the one by the
water pump.

You can also get a false impression of the #1 cylinder being at the top of
its stroke.  It may be at the end of its exhaust stroke rather than at the
end of it's compression stroke. This would be a 180 off starting point.  In
either case, the timing mark on the pulley would still be pointing at TDC.
With the spark plug out of the #1 cylinder and a finger over the spark plug
hole, when you crank over the engine it will blow air out past your finger
on the compression stroke.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Regards,  Paul A

FROM:   DuhCaddyhm, INTERNET:wadleigh at syix.com
TO:     MGs, INTERNET:mgs@autox.team.net
DATE:   11/8/00 3:42 AM

Re:     More questions

Hi All!

Have a couple more questions for those technical minds out there!  What
causes the timing to "go out", in particular to become 180 degrees out?
Could the distributor drive being in wrong (i.e. upside down) be the
cause?  How will this affect the performance of the vehicle and will it
cause damage?  What to do to correct the condition?

I'm certainly not an expert mechanic, but I can usually do the work
myself  .....  as long as I can get all the information needed to do it,
even the little piddly stuff that most people probably already know!

Drove my car for the first time today .... after looking at it sitting
forlornly for nearly three months! It was wonderful!!!

Sue