Carbs and alternators Was: Re: "On the road again ..." (Long)

To: mlupynec@globalserve.net, froggi@cdsnet.net, jboatri@emory.edu
Subject: Carbs and alternators Was: Re: "On the road again ..." (Long)
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 02:04:10 GMT FILETIME=[59BBF4D0:01C049F1]
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
List,
With all of this talk about carbs... I'm thinking or doing that fuel
injection conversion to my Bugeye. :-)  My carbs (I have a '74 1275 in my
Bugeye and the associated carbs) would not stop flooding.  I bought the
Haynes techbook on the carbs, but couldn't figure out the problem.  I spent
two whole days cleaning them and then another examining them.  I couldn't
figure out the problem, but suspected that it had something to do with the
float not going high enough to close off the needle in the fuel flow.  My
floats do not have an arm that they push against (that in turn pushes
against the needle).  My float pivots and directly contacts the needle.
Anybody else's work this way?  I ended up paying a large amount of money for
a resto shop to rebuild them because I could never figure out what was
causing the carb closest to the firewall to pump gas out the overflow.  I
assume this "overflow" was where the air pump hooked in for the smog stuff?
When I bought the car, a piece of fuel line was used to connect these two
overflows together.  The shop said this was unnecessary and removed it.
Consequently I was always having gas dumped onto the exhaust manifold (add
Lucas, POD, to the equation=keep a fire extinguisher handy, or a cat with
which to beat out the flames).  Even after the "rebuild" I was still having
the problem.  Still unable to diagnose the problem, I took it to another guy
who said that the previous shop had filed down the top of the float in an
attempt to adjust the level of fuel in the float bowl and had gone too far
(causing the float to rise too high and allowing fuel to flow out the
overflow).  He built up the float with JB Weld to correct the problem.
Prior to this, I used to take the top off the float bowl and wiggle the
float around _vigorously_ and the problem would usually go away.  A British
thwack, or any other kind, never seemed to work.  And this was a major pain
in the @ss as I had to do it nearly every time I wanted to drive the car.  I
can't tell you if the problem is solved yet because I can't keep the Beast
on the road (generator prob).  I've got a rebuilt Lucas ACR16 alternator to
install if I can figure out the three wires and how to hook them into the
Bugeye's wiring harness.  Anybody want to tackle this?  Frank tried to help,
but couldn't remember what the third wire was for or how to tell it from the
other small wire.
Ryan