Re: British Pie!

To: "Guy Weller" <guy@weller-lakes.greatxscape.net>, "Spridgets@Autox. Team. Net (E-mail)" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: British Pie!
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 16:14:11 -0500
Think about and yes that is correct, how much the variance is, will
change what the actual volume is. However for marketing purposes, why
bother. For instance the 1274.8 is called a 1275, right. Most, but pehaps
not all, engines that have a low and high compression counterpart, use
flat and dished or domed pistons to change the CR. In 75-76 the 1500 had
9:1 CR, in 77+ they had 7.5:1, the lower compression pistons are dished,
which effectively decreases displacement as well as increasing total
volume. But if you calculate it all out, the difference ain't much.
Builder change the size of an engine by boring and stroking. The same
principal applies here.

I know its weird but thats the way this old world is :-)

Larry

>Well Larry,  that is interesting - not the way I would have expected.
>So in that case a low compression engine would have a larger stated
>capacity than its high compression counterpart.  I guess the
>difference is so slight no one is going to bother too much! <gg>
>Actually a good re-bore adds a fair bit to the capacity. My "1275" is
>actually nearer to 1360, but then less a bit 'cos I skimmed the head.
>
>Guy

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.