Cams

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Cams
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 15:31:34 EST
Hi list,

Perhaps it has a lot to do with how Americans drive, but I can't understand
why all of you guys (and gals) have this thing about mild cams (mild beer??).
 My car has a 286S Kent cam in it and I drive the car to the shops.  I
switched to the 286 from a Piper 270 because the 270 was tooo mild.  Although
a bit on the radical side there are road going A-series engines with 296 Kent
cams in them.  Given that out and out race cams are pretty much in the 300s
why opt for these mild 266 type profiles.

The cam choice also seems at odds with your carburettor choice.  There seems
to be little hesitation to switch a road going car to a Weber Sidedraught
whereas in the UK owners are more likely to stay with SUs even with 276 or
286 type profiles.

Daniel1312