Re: White smoke on startup

To: wmgilroy@avaya.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: White smoke on startup
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 13:44:18 EST
In a message dated 11/21/00 11:50:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
wmgilroy@avaya.com writes:

>    1.  It has sat for > 1 week.

Your first mistake.

>    2.  The is not oil smoke.

The what is not oil smoke?

>   3.  I have wicked cold so I can't tell if it smells of anti-freeze.

Hope you feel better soon.

>   4.  If the car sits for 3 or 4 days no problems.

Don't let the car sit.

See how simple life can be?

I really don't think you have anything to worry about.  If it is getting cold
where you are, and it certainly is here in Abington, try this...put a small
heat source under the car for a week.  NOT AN OPEN FLAME, but maybe a 200w
light bulb.  This will keep the engine a little warmer.  You could heat the
entire garage.  Note: this will not work outside!  Then start the car and see
if there is a difference.  If no smoke, or less smoke, it is simply because
you are blowing out the condensation.  (Y'know, when it gets cold outside you
get dew or frost on the windscreen?  Same concept.)

Just my 2 pence, YMMV.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget