Re: wire wheels

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: wire wheels
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 11:39:30 -0500
Chuck,

As I wrote, YMMV. I assume you started with new wire wheels and then
properly maintained them, checking for equal spoke tension, etc. From
what I've read, if wire wheels are always kept up, they can last for
decades of even daily use. I also assume that you hit few potholes on
the track. However, I think that for someone who has acquired a used
set for free, and may plans to use them on less-than-track-condition
streets, the experience may be different.

As for why they were used so long, I think that there are many
reasons. From what I've read, wire wheels for a long time were much
lighter than steel wheels. They also had a reputation for allowing
better brake cooling. I think it was Phil Hill (could be wrong here)
who chastised Enzo Ferrari for staying with wire wheels much longer
than others had. His chief complaint was that they flexed more than
steel or alloy wheels. Of course, Enzo's response was basically "What
are you complaining about? You won a lot of races with them, didn't
you?

As to where are all the lost wire wheel stories, I'd say that about
every sixth episode of "Legends of Motorsport" on SpeedVision has at
least one car losing a wire wheel or having a collapsed wire wheel
during the course of a race. In fact, one of today's episodes had a
story of a lost wire wheel during a Le Mans race. Instead of asking
why they lasted so long, you may want to ask why they are no longer
used except for 'period' races.  :)

There is no denying that they look great and can perform well. In my
limited experience, though, they require maintenance to remain at
that level. I don't say this to warn people off from using them at
all, just that they should expect a little more work than from steel
wheels.

Jeff

>we run wire wheels on our race '62 morgan.  we did experience a knock off
>failure this year at watkins glen , but  in 3 years of competition driving
>the car has had no loosening of spokes.
>we have 2 sets or rims a chrome set of dayton wires and a set of donlop
>competition wires.  there has been no rim related problems.  the knock off
>literally broke!  the threads had failed internally and that is what caused
>the failure.
>you will get all kinds of wire wheel stories but why then did all the great
>competition cars from various era's run on wire wheels.  and where are all
>the lost wire wheel stories from those times?  borinarri, dunlop, dayton,
>rudge and more produced wire wheels.  their legacy lives on and cars still
>roll and race on these rims.   so if ya wanna go with wires, go gor it !!!
>but insist any tire shops use a rim clamp tire changer so they do not bend
>your wheels!  we bought a tire machine and balancer just for this reason(ham
>fisted tire shop employees damaging expensive wheels and then pointing to
>the "not responsible for damage " sign........after the fact)
>
>chuck.
>ok back to my rock..............c.         :)

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Assistant Professor, Emory Eye Center, Atlanta, GA
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
<http://www.molvis.org/molvis>
<mailto: jboatri@emory.edu>