wire wheels

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: wire wheels
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 14:22:29 -0800
Reading about the problems with wire wheels, I would offer these
observations from the book
"The Bicycle Wheel" by Jobst Brandt, somewhat of an expert on spoked wheels.
The ability of a wheel to support loads is dependent on proper tensioning of
the spokes.  The highest possible tension that does not deform the rim will
produce the wheel that can bear the highest loads, and 'spoke windup'
experienced when reaching the higher tensions must be relieved.  The spoke
threads should be dipped in a persistent lubricant prior to assembly ( I use
moly grease).  The spokes of a properly tensioned wheel will all produce the
same note when struck or plucked with only very slight variation.  Spokes
will loosen only if the preload provided by the initial tensioning is
overcome by sufficient loading to allow the spoke to reach a state of zero
tension.

I build my own road and mountain bike wheels by these rules and they last
much longer than 'store bought' wheels.  In fact, I haven't had a home-built
one fail yet.

Arguments or differing opinions may be addressed to Jobst Brandt by e-mail
to the rec.bike.tech newsgroup.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye
'59 Morris Traveller (Winifred)
(four bicycles, road, track, mountain, and tandem, with damn good wheels)