Re: Desk-Top Dyno

To: DLancer7676@cs.com
Subject: Re: Desk-Top Dyno
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 19:39:06 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
I've used it, and found it to be helpfull.  No, it's not precise enough to
tell me exactly how many horsepower I'm going to get from a whatever.  It's
unable to be told about the specifics of a given intake manifold or such, it
just uses several generic parameters (dual plane, etc).  It's geared towards
v-8 engines, but can work a 4 banger quite well.

What it excells at is comparing the differences of camshafts and
compression.  It's worth the price just in helping you select the camshaft
that will do what you want (sifting out the manufacturers hype).  It's also
reasonably good at playing with headers and alternative intake designs.  The
results there can often be surprising, in a down to earth manner.  It knocks
out the notion of doubling horsepower by installing a bigger tailpipe and
such.

The book it comes with is every bit as good as the software.

I think the book and program are available from Barnes&Noble for something
like $40, though it's often on sale for less.