New convertible tops - comments?

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: New convertible tops - comments?
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 11:50:11 -0500
Howdy, y'all!

Well, winter's  barely begun but I'm thinking about spring. And when spring
gets here the hard top comes off! But I still need some kind of top on the
Midget since I don't have a garage and the poor thing has to live outside.
So I'm looking for comments on kinds of tops, brands, etc. Personally I like
the look of the canvas tops, but wonder about the durability. Given that the
top will be used under the following conditions, what is the best kind to
use:

1) Will be parked outside.
2) Live just west of DC area (Leesburg, VA to be exact). So will be subject
to moderately high temps and humidity.
3) Frequent lowering and raising.
4) Winter will have a hardtop on.

What's the best thing to do with the top in the winter when using the
hardtop? Leave it folded up normally in the car or take it off completely
and reinstall it in the spring? Right now since the old top was pretty shot
anyway I just took it off. And will using a car cover throughout the
year help increase the top's lifespan?

Finally, the car is a 1971 and has the velcro attachment. I have been
thinking about removing the velcro and going to the older style and adding
another tenax. Is this a good idea? Are there any other differences
between the earlier and later Midget Mark III tops?

I'm seriously considering a top from Caribou canvas unless I find a good
reason not to.

Any and all comments (preferably useful, relevent ones ;-) ) are
appreciated!

Eddie
1971 Midget