Re: New convertible tops - comments?

To: Eddie Sheffield <esheffield@prizmail.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New convertible tops - comments?
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 14:48:01 -0800
Hi Eddie,

My car came with a Crown top on it which is probably the cheapest available
top.  I wouldn't recommend it for poor fit around the side windows.

You seem to be very concerned about longevity of your top.  Consider the low
low price of a top for a Spridget, I would just enjoy the car and buy a new
top when needed.  A VW Bug top is $1500 installed (you can't install it
yourself very easily), just for comparison.

Just my .02 euro

Ulix

on 1/12/01 8:50, Eddie Sheffield at esheffield@prizmail.com wrote:

> Howdy, y'all!
>
> Well, winter's  barely begun but I'm thinking about spring. And when spring
> gets here the hard top comes off! But I still need some kind of top on the
> Midget since I don't have a garage and the poor thing has to live outside.
> So I'm looking for comments on kinds of tops, brands, etc. Personally I like
> the look of the canvas tops, but wonder about the durability. Given that the
> top will be used under the following conditions, what is the best kind to
> use:
>
> 1) Will be parked outside.
> 2) Live just west of DC area (Leesburg, VA to be exact). So will be subject
> to moderately high temps and humidity.
> 3) Frequent lowering and raising.
> 4) Winter will have a hardtop on.
>
> What's the best thing to do with the top in the winter when using the
> hardtop? Leave it folded up normally in the car or take it off completely
> and reinstall it in the spring? Right now since the old top was pretty shot
> anyway I just took it off. And will using a car cover throughout the
> year help increase the top's lifespan?
>
> Finally, the car is a 1971 and has the velcro attachment. I have been
> thinking about removing the velcro and going to the older style and adding
> another tenax. Is this a good idea? Are there any other differences
> between the earlier and later Midget Mark III tops?
>
> I'm seriously considering a top from Caribou canvas unless I find a good
> reason not to.
>
> Any and all comments (preferably useful, relevent ones ;-) ) are
> appreciated!
>
> Eddie
> 1971 Midget

http://www.mirafiori.com/~ulix/               '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9