Re: More Electrical Problems!

To: "Mike Maclean" <macleans@earthlink.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: More Electrical Problems!
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 00:35:54 -0000
one of two possible things are going on
1 improperly grounded engine/transmission assembly.  needs a proper ground
to bypass the rubber mounts insulating the assembly from the chassis ground.
2 a defective solenoid causing a short when pulled into the start position.

do you have the ground strap at the clutch slave cylinder in place?
and you can test the solenoid for shorting out by having the cables
disconnected .   using a volt/ohm meter attach a test lead to both cable
terminals and  attach the other lead to the peice that the pull cable
attaches to.  push or pull the solenoid into the "start/make contact "
position.   if your meter reads anything it is internally shorting out and
needs replacement.  there should be no reading between the "pull" stud and
the 2 power terminals.

if your solenoid tests good, then it is a serious missing or poor contact
ground problem.
just a note on good grounds.  try using a star washer between the ground
cable and the surface it is being attached to.  the raised edges of the
star(be it an internal or external star pattern) will bite through paint or
rust upon tightening and insure a good ground.
hopes of this being of assistance?
chuck.