Re: Hydraulic jack help (no lbc)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hydraulic jack help (no lbc)
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:47:46 -0800 (PST)
For a quick substitute if the local hardware store is open,

A $39.00 cable hoist with the upper hook attacked to a figure eight loop of
chain around a four by four, laid across two or more rafters in the garage.
This spreads the load nicely and has pulled my engine/tranny combo three
times so far without a creak from the rafters.  Best of all, dirt cheap and
hangs overhead mostly out of the way when not in use.

>Does anyone know how a hydraulic jack (ram) works?
>
>I can not get a replacement for 8-10 business days, a local shop says
>they *might* get to it in the next 2 weeks, and I have an engine sitting
>out of a Sprite that needs to go back in. All the kids went back to
>college so I have no able bodys to help lift. Any anybody my age is too
>smart to lift an engine with their back.
>
>I did buy some seals and O rings, it doesn't leak anymore.
>But, when I apply pressure, it doesn't go up.
>If I help it along it goes up just fine but with each pump of the handle
>you can see the piston go up and then back down,
>When it's up, it does not bleed down with me standing on it so I assume
>all the seals are good. The valve consists of a small ballbearing with a
>copper washer over it. (or parts fell out)
>No leaks, no bleedbacks, I just can't get it up! (I didn't say that)
>
>I would rather pop an engine back in rather then watch TV. It's 40ish
>out in the garage, great working weather.
>
>TIA
>--
>
>Frank Clarici
>Toms River, NJ