Re: Piston Balancing

To: Spridgets List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Piston Balancing
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 18:43:04 -0800 (PST)
> I don't think you can balance them. Well I'm sure
> they can be balanced
> but being offset would require about 8oz of weight
> added to the other
> side of the rod.

When I asked my machinist how he was gonna do it, he
said "the way I do 'em all."  As this was the longest
sentence he ever spoke to me and he was very talented,
I didn't push it (most of his sentences were "Yup.
Nope. Maybe. $125.").  I know that you want the 2
pistons going up to exactly counteract the 2 pistons
going down.  You can't really do this in a 4 banger,
but you can get close, and it helps smoothness.  I
believe Vizard says it will not realistically improve
performance or rev capability.  I had the engine
balanced from crank pulley (harmonic balancer) to the
clutch/flywheel.  I could not see where he did
anything to the rods, but I'm happy with the overall
results regardless.  Make sure the crank is
dynamically balanced (done on a rotating machine), not
just statically.

Ignore any Yahoo message below:
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/