RE: Piston Balancing

To: "'Bryan Vandiver'" <bryan.vandiver@sun.com>
Subject: RE: Piston Balancing
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 11:43:52 -0800
Cc: "'Frank Clarici'" <spritenut@Exit109.com>, Brad Fornal <toyman@digitex.net>, Spridgets List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
>From my limited experience with Aircraft engines and reading some books on
overhauling various engines, I think we can say that there are various
levels of "balancing" or "Matching" of internal components.

The most basic level and easiest to do would be the simple matching of parts
that I described. weigh all of the parts and mix them accordingly to achieve
the closest average weight. This will produce some improvement in vibration
levels.  You might be surprised at how much different two pistons can weigh.

The next level would be the careful weighing of all like parts and bringing
their weights to the same level.

the next and top level would be the same as above, but paying careful
attention to where the extra mass is on each piece and modifying it to not
only weigh the same as the rest, but to have the same balance points. This
would insure the rotational masses would be the same. In a multi cylinder
oppose engine this would be important. I'm not sure it would buy you
anything in a inline four.
 If your going to this level you'd need to have the crank, flywheel, and
harmonic damper all done as one unit. You could even go as far as the cam
and cam gear. While your at it, you'd want to have the head matched and
balanced. Which would entail flow matching each intake port to the rest and
exhaust port to  the rest, etc etc........

So to answer Brad's original question. Seeing that he has a three beam
scale, I'd do the easiest level. weigh and match the parts to get close.
then take the flywheel, crank and harmonic damper in and have them spun
balanced.

Completely off topic.  Some California police departments consider a triple
beam "Drug paraphernalia" and will treat it as such.