re: steering column

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: steering column
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 17:51:04 -0800
Blank
In 8 years as a CSAR Crew Chief in CH46 SeaKnight's, including a combat =
tour in Viet Nam I scraped up, picked up, or bagged up hundreds of fixed =
wing glory guys. My plane may have been ugly but they were the ones =
buying the drinks.

But deliriously folks, If you are going to use a lock washer use a star =
not a split washer. Or use a nyloc nut. I teach fastener theory as well =
as advanced automotive technology at our local college. It's true split =
washers are not particularly effective in some cases and they scar the =
surface of the component face. However the comment attributed to a =
fastener salesman is to put it kindly grossly innaccurate.  Believe me =
engineers all over the world, under extreme pressure to reduce costs do =
not install things that do nothing, no matter what the wrench in the =
field may think.

Blue loctite is subject to failure over time and can be disolved by some =
cleaners including armorall. Red, requires heat to release. Don't even =
think about white.

Most importantly, a properly torqued nut will not come losse of it's own =
accord.

Cheers!  -Michael-

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of Blank
Bkgrd.gif]