starters

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: starters
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 02:38:37 FILETIME=[95035160:01C0899C]
Mike,
     I just had to replace my starter because I've been abusing it.  I can't
seem to get the car to run properly.  It is hard as heck to get started,
idles roughly, and hesitates upon acceleration if it isn't warmed up enough.
  I have to choke the heck out of it to get it to start, but then, it must
be running too richly because of the carbon deposits on the plugs.  I can't
lean it out anymore because I use 100% choke to get it going.  I guess if I
don't get it fixed this time around, I'll be buying a starter a year.
     Don't know what to tell you about the switch.  I'd go out and look at
mine, but it's not here.  I just got it running this weekend and it had to
go home with my parents.  We're moving next week and it's hard to move three
cars, so they took it until we get settled into Kentucky.  The only thing I
can think of with my limited experience is that the starter switch is
somehow grounding and causing a short circuit.  Is the starter switch body
insulated from the guts of the switch (to prevent the current from coming in
the top and exiting the body where it touches the mounting bracket)?  Maybe
you could put a multi-meter on it and test from the top of the switch to the
body (shouldn't you get infinite resistance indicating an open circuit?).
If you don't, maybe the switch needs to be replaced.  Ask Frank, he knows
all about electrics.
Ryan