Burning issue.

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Burning issue.
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 18:08:32 -0800
I'm at wit's end over this starter pull cable.  It gets hot enough to
change the temper of the metal cable and make it very brittle.  After a
couple dozen pulls to start the car it snaps off right at the connector
that connects to the starter switch.  I initially thought it was a bad
ground.  I changed the position of the ground from the bell housing bolt
on the trans to the clutch slave cylinder.  Still hot.  My friend that
sold me the car helps me work on it when I have a difficult problem and
he encountered the same problem with it when he tried to start it and
snapped the cable off again.  He applied a huge jumper cable from an
engine mounting bolt on the engine side of the rubber and the other end
of it to the engine mounting bolt for the bracket on the frame, in
effect another ground (engine to positive ground body).  What is
perplexing is you could pull on the connector (wire snapped off) and it
was not hot!   So, I thought the problem was solved.  I stopped at Pep
Boys on the way home and bought a universal woven copper ground cable
about 8 inches long.
     Today I installed the ground cable where my friend had the jumper
cable and sweat silver soldered a new bicycle cable into the starter
pull button to finish the repair.  I just pulled on it a couple of times
with the ignition off and it got real hot just like before.  Huh?
Is the starter pull cable grounding on the instrument panel?  Or, is the
starter drawing too many amps?   Is the small ground strap I just
installed  inadequate for the amount of amps flowing through the
(defective?) starter?  Is the starter solenoid (switch) defective?
     I don't know where to look first.   Ahrrrrrrrrrrrg!!!!!!
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite