Re: Differential Exchange - Techie Question, Bandwasters can Ignore <G>

To: JARplanner@aol.com
Subject: Re: Differential Exchange - Techie Question, Bandwasters can Ignore <G>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 10:22:22 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Jim,
I swapped a 3.7 into my bugeye for a few months and went back to a 4.2 when
I switched to a five speed.  The only thing you need to do is swap out the
'pumpkin'. Pull the axles out just far enough to free it up, pull the bolts
out and remove the brake line mounting bolt.  Clean/paint the new
one(optional), put in a new front seal cause its cheap to do now and a pain
to do later, lather on the gasket sealer and bolt it in.  Push the axles
back in, (with new o-rings, seals, and paper gaskets), bolt up the drive
shaft and away you go.
Then begin to put a few bucks a week into a jar and find Paul A's phone
number for the day you get tired of the noisy ribcase and go for the five
speed.  Careful browsing at the local pick and pulls can get you a good
Datsun tranny for under $100.  Good luck.

>Techie Question -
>
>I would like to swap my standard 4.22 differential for something with a
>higher gearing. I know the later 3.9 is the most common swap but I am
>interested if the 3.73 differential from the 1500 Midget will go into a rear
>housing from a Sprite MkII. Would the crown & pinion fit directly into the
>older rear housing? Is some machining necessary? Or would it be necessary
>swap the entire rearend and axles?
>
>This rearend will be going into my Bugeye, which will be a daily driver when
>finished. I do a lot of freeway driving (at the legal speed limit of course)
>so I am looking to keep the rpms down as low as possible. The car will have a
>fast road 1380 (110hp & 105 ft/lb torque) so the higher geared rearend should
>not hurt low-end performance too badly. I know some of you will say go to a
>5-speed to keep the rpms down - that will be a future project, but too
>expensive right now.
>
>So is this a easy or hard swap? Help me out you Techies!
>
>Jim Rogers
>San Juan Capistrano CA
>59 Bugeye

Regards,