Crabby Midget

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Crabby Midget
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 19:44:48 -0500
I have noticed lately that the 71 Midget appear to be going down the
road in a crab like fashion. I assumed it was my imagination until I
noticed today that the right rear tire is several inches behind the
left. Quick examination showed that both springs were still attached and
the rear portion of the right spring is several inches behinmd the left
(The left shackle is vertical, and the right is about 45 degrees),so I
am assuming that the right one has seperated.. Is there any wisdom in
replacing only the right spring, and is there any recommendations for
vendors, beside the usual suspects, M#$& and V*&^-B)(*? or is the
quality of springs equal among vendors.? Also, if I have to replace the
springs, is there anything else that I should replace while I have it
torn down, This on is basically my daily driver (but not sole
transportation)  that I am kind of doing a rolling restoration on.

Bill Mantz
Roanoke, Va.
1971 Midget
1959 Bugeye