Re: Tranny oil

To: "Mike Maclean" <macleans@earthlink.net>, "Steven Fooshee" <sfooshee@home.com>
Subject: Re: Tranny oil
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 11:02:36 +1100
Cc: "spridgets team" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Gearbox/Diff oil has a sulphur-based additive that improves
the ability of the oil to provide lubrication under the compression
and shear loads found at the gear/gear sliding surfaces.

Unfortunately, these same compounds are bad for the bronze
components we find in our gearboxes.  Redline and perhaps
others have oils that use alternate means of providing the extreme
pressure performance (redline manual transmission oil supposedly
is saf e for our gearboxes - we don't get it here so I can't say
from direct experience).

FYI, molybdenum (sp?) and zinc additives also provide good extreme
pressure additives. I can't recall the reference, perhaps it was an SAE
publication or a Instute of Mechanical Engineer publication, but I once
trolled through the literature and found a good comparative study.

As a result, I use a good quality oil and some moly additive in the gearbox.

Mike