Gift Sprite made it home (no trailer)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Gift Sprite made it home (no trailer)
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 19:58:32 -0800 (PST)
List

Frank posting from Ron's House not far from Peter's
house.

The 1967 Sprite given to Peter C made it all the way
on it's own from Toms River, NJ to Roscoe, IL.
Peter drove home in a real car from Ron's. I have the
pleasure of driving it the last hour to Madison, WI
tomorrow.
We did shared the driving time 3 ways, we did have a
minor steering rack problem 10 miles from my house,
after a 3 hour rack rebuild, we were back on the road.
And another "burp" in Ohio where we just readjusted
the points and went happily on our way, and a bad
rocker bushing that Ron has the parts for to make it
perfect for tomorrow's last leg.
The speedometer quit but it may have had something to
do with Ron trying to hit 100mph, now it's stuck on
100 mph!! ( NOTE FROM RON:  I'm having the Speedo
bronzed as proof)
(Frank again) Who was saying no 1275 stock sprite ever
hit 100 mph? remember this is a stock 67 Sprite, no
rebuild, no rebuild carbs, just a tune up and then a
1000 mile drive (ANOTHER NOTE FROM RON - even the
hoses were original!!!  65 psi hot oil pressure start
to finish, never above 160 deg F coolant temp, started
1st shot this AM in Pittsburgh, 20 degrees, and we
never went less than 65 MPH the whole way, even in the
Red Roof Inn parking lot). We were getting on the road
when we heard Three Rivers Stadium being imploded a
few miles from the hotel parking lot.  The sound of a
large explosion can be very alarming to those of us
driving British cars 500 miles from home... back to
Frank-  )
The car has been stored since 1973.
And yes, we did a speedometer calibration check a few
times at various speeds along the way. Both the BMW
and the Sprite read the same at 65, 70, 80, & 90 mph.
All in all, a great Sprite Adventure. 3 friends who
met on this list.

Oh yeah, they talked me into coming along for the
trip.
They really had to twist my arm.

Frank
Wherever I Am, USA