Re: Engine Paint

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Engine Paint
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:37:42 -0500
Cc: Herb Carlson <froggi@cdsnet.net>, Brad Fornal <toyman@digitex.net>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hi guys,

Rereading the Horler book, it appears that ferreting out all the info he
has on the engine colrs, he says definately that all 12V engines were
painted black.  But there appears to be an ommission as to what color the
12CC engine was painted.  So there is no reason to dispute what some owners
of 12CC engine say about the original olive green color that was on them.
He states on pg 100 that the 12CE and 12 CD were painted the lighter shade
of green with a hammer finish that we now refer to as Healey Green.  I see
no reference to any 1275 engines that were painted the darker green.  I
could be missing something as he is pretty convoluted in his description on
a couple of pages.

He does note that the first 900 or so 12CC engines were recalled and these
numbers were not used again. 12CC 101 through 12CC 1000.  It appears that
the 12CC thin flange block had the EN40B crank used in it as the block was
too flexible, neccessitating the need for the stronger crank.  When the
block design was changed to the thick flange design, the EN16T crank was
used as this was cheaper to manufacture.  I have a 12CC 1242 thin flange
block engine here, but it's painted red!!

Regards, Paul A

FROM:   "Ulix Goettsch", INTERNET:ulix at u.washington.edu
TO:     "Paul A. Asgeirsson", PAsgeirsson
        "Herb Carlson", INTERNET:froggi@cdsnet.net
CC:     "Spridgets", INTERNET:spridgets@autox.team.net
DATE:   2/14/01 12:25 PM

Re:     Re: Engine Paint

Paul,

are you sure that's what the book says?  I thought it claimed that all 12CC
engines were still the earlier olive green.
At one point, we discussed this fact on this list and it seemed that
several
list members had 12CC engines that were originally painted the later Healey
green (including mine).

The Healey green is available in spray cans from Moss.

Ulix