sluggish starting (little LBC)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: sluggish starting (little LBC)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 20:09:28 -0500
My wife's Saturn is sluggish to start. It turns over slowly, but it
does start. However, it's getting more sluggish. If this were linear,
I'd say she has about three more start cycles left. Voltage at the
battery terminals with the engine shut off is 13V. With the engine
running it's 15V. When I put the battery charger on it the first
time, the little amp meter on the charger went to 0 (zero) and
stayed. I tested this on the Sprite battery (LBC content!!) and the
meter jumped up to 6 amps then slowly went down to 2 amps. After
running the Saturn for 5 minutes, I put the charger back on it and
the little amp meter jumped to 4 amps then slowly went down to 2 amps.

I think the battery is dying. Are there other tests to determine
whether the alternator is the problem, or other components? Note, the
voltage regulator is part of the alternator on this car. If one goes,
the whole thing must be replaced.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Assistant Professor, Emory Eye Center, Atlanta, GA
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
<http://www.molvis.org/molvis>
<mailto: jboatri@emory.edu>