Re: sluggish starting (little LBC)

To: "Jeffrey H. Boatright" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: sluggish starting (little LBC)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 21:35:22 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Jeff,

Sounds like the battery to me.....  How old is it??

Your voltages sound good, you should get 14.5v - 15.5v at the battery
with the car running, this shows the alt. and the regulator are working.

Try the easiest thing first - clean the terminals.....  You would be
supprised at how many times this is the problem.  Dirty contacts at the
terminals will not allow enough amperage to be supplied to the starter,
while still allowing the battery to be charged (less amperage required
to charge - over a longer period of time).

If this dosen't help - you can have it "load tested" at most parts
stores or battery places.  This is a test that tells how much cranking
amps are in the battery. Also check to see if there is enough water in
the cells, the water should cover the plates. (be careful, the gas
created by a battery is explosive).  If the plates are not covered you
can add distilled water (not tap water), but don't over fill.

Hope this helps,

Kevin V.