RE: Roll Bar Padding

To: Brad Fornal <toyman@digitex.net>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Roll Bar Padding
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:39:47 -0500
Brad:
I personally think that using ty-wraps on the standard roll bar padding
shows no class. Many of the cars I race with have this arrangement, thought,
since it's an easy fix and most of these guys aren't as interested in looks
as they are in speed and weight. I just don't like the "lumpy" look.
Although I have roll bar padding only in the areas my head or other parts of
my anatomy could come in contact with the bar, I have wrapped it in black
electrical tape. It looks smooth, has consistent color, matches the black
paint on the exposed parts of the bar, and finishes off any gaps left by the
cuts at the intersections. A parts car I once had was equipped with a roll
bar that had a leather covering on it, like a stitch-on steering wheel
cover, but it, too, looked tacky.
Are you sure the hood will fit over the bar with roll bar padding on it?
It's a pretty close fit at the top and at the sides where the bows hinge to
the body. The sections of padding you can get from the race shops have the
internal hole off center so you can put the thin side where there is
interference and the thick side where your head is. They also now come in
colors.

Bob

[This message delayed, as it needed manual intervention by the list
administrator.  mjb.]