Re: 1/2 sparkplug removal

To: "kate & gary" <kgb@clipper.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1/2 sparkplug removal
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 01:10:54 -0000
there is a draw back to using extractors.   they depend upon exerting a
force on the piece that needs to be extracted through a wedge effect.   now
if you are cross threaded and not experiencing seriously carboned up
threads, you might be up the probverbial paddle-less creek of love!  the
effect of an extractor usually expands the darn remaining piece farther into
the crossed threads.  my sugestion is to fill the cylinder with rope.  take
a mini carbide bit in a dremel tool and cut down 2 opposite sides of the
remaining piece of the threaded end of the plug.(be carefull not to go too
far as an aluminum head will grind real fast with that carbide bit!  grind
the steel and not aluminum! and use the pick to get it where you need to go
for an extraction)  pick  the pieces free with a dental pick and extract
plug pieces.   take a magnet and clear the hole of all remaining metallic
tiny pieces and with needle nose pliers pull out the rope wich will bring
most of theremaining contaminates from extraction.  then go shopping in the
hole with a duct tape (sticky side out) long thin screwdriver to extract
remaining porcelan and any other stuff rom breaking plug off.  clean the
threads with a spark plug thread chaser and install the new plug.
i know this is a bit neanderthal.  but the other choice is remove the head.
always try to save the hole first.  then go for the big remove and replace
procedure if is last resort.

chuck.
not the right way but it works!   frank?  what size hammer would you
reccomend?   he-he-he