Re: Rotary & Synthetic Oil

Subject: Re: Rotary & Synthetic Oil
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 08:51:03 -0600
Cc: Spridgeteers <spridgets@autox.team.net>
WFO Herb wrote:

> Hey Ron,
>
> "... Don't use synths in a production Mazda rotary engine.  It's not
> compatible with oil injection systems."
>
> Since my Son and I are involved with TII's (including a Mk III Sprite
> w/full RX7 running gear), would I be correct to say the reasoning behind
> this statement might be that synthetic oils don't "burn" the same as
> petroleum based oils?  And that they (synths) perhaps form a deposit
> when they are burned???
>
> Though not doing so now, we do intend on using synthetic oil in the near
> future.... but keeping the oil injection system separate and apart from
> the engine oil system.
>
> OR... do synthetic oils mess up seals themselves in rotary engines?!?
>
> Herb

        This has been a long standing debate, especially since many people
really like synthetic oils for turbos. The basis of teh statement is
that synthetic motor oils don't completely combust at normal combustion
temperatures. This is supposed to result in high buildup of deposits,
but the several people I know running synthetics on the stock OMP have
had no problems with it, though they spend very little time at low
throttle position which might help bring combustion temps up a bit.
Synthetics are supposed to have much less residue-building content, but
if it has too high a combustion temp this is moot.
        The only specific oil I know of which caused problems in the Wankel is
the early AmsOil. They sponsored Mazdas GTU cars and this statement came
out around the time their cooperation ended. I'm pretty sure the "Don't
use synths in a production Mazda rotary engine" is a lawsuit-free
version of "avoid AmsOil." I think the new AmsOil is much less different
from main line synthetics these days. My biggest beef with the OMP is
burning dirty engine oil rather than which kind of oil.

        The right way to do it: http://ahura.iwarp.com/2strokepump.htm
--
~
'87 RX-7 TII: Expresses my mood.