Re: Media Blaster recommendation

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Media Blaster recommendation
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 07:51:05 -0500
In my younger (poorer) days I built a blast cabinet out of plywood and bits
I had around the house. It's about 48x24x30 and loads from the top, I needed
to line the plywood with sheet metal along the back to keep from getting
chewed up. The gun I bought from Tip Tools, which connects to a foot pedal
valve. I use regular window glass with a plexiglas cover on top for safety.
The glass is 12x24 and can be purchased at any hardware store for a couple
of dollars. When using glass beads it lasts quite a while, but aluminim
oxide really chews it up. I've found that Saran Wrap works pretty well as a
protective cover, you just need to change it frequently. I'll have to try a
piece of tempered glass next.
I picked up a squirrel cage blower at a flea market, that I use for
ventilation which also evacuates a small paint spray booth that I made which
then vents outside through the wall.
Everything is in the basement except the compressor which is piped in from
the garage.
One of the best investments I've made, took a while to get it sorted out,
but it's always ready to go at the flip of a switch.

For big jobs I bought a pressure blaster from a place in Kentucky called
"The Sandblaster" if I remember correctly. Sounds like a jet engine but
works great.

John
68 Impala ss conv.
68 Sprite