RE: CD player ?

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: CD player ?
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 15:55:16 -0800 m>
I got one with a detachable face plate. Mounted the actual unit in the trunk
with a slot going through the partition between passenger area and trunk.
Load and unload CDs through the slot (lots of jig saw practice to make that
CD slot look good btw) and control the unit through the faceplate mounted in
the console. You just need to make a cable that goes from the faceplate to
the unit. your local car audio shop can hook you up. They wanted $70 to make
the cable, but I made one out of an old printer cable. About 12 wires
between face plate and unit.

My next project includes a LCD where the console used to be and a PC in the
trunk. Thats gonna be a nice setup for CDs\Mp3s\FM

Good luck.

Toby

I mulled over this for a little bit with my '71, and finally realized that
there was no way a CD was going to fit in the console. And even if it did,
there wouldn't be enough clearance between the radio and shifter to insert
the CD. So I ended up getting a cheapy cassette player from Radio Shack that
has a line in jack on the front, and (when I get everything finished) will
use my portable CD/MP3 player connected through that jack. May install one
of those little bases for the CD player on the trans tunnel somewhere too.

BTW, the radio was still too deep for the console, but I made a "sleeve" out
of 3/4" wide x 1/8" thick steel bar (couldn't find aluminum that size on
short order) and effectively built out the front of the console 3/4". Of
course that left me with that much less clearance between the radio and
shifter, but it works out OK. I just can't change tapes unless I'm in 2nd,
4th, or reverse! ;-)

Another idea I had, given more time and skill, was to fashion a completely
different console that would mount the radio either diagonally or even
facing straight up. Don't know how tolerant auto CD players are of different
orientations.

One last possibility - get a deck with a remote CD changer and put it in the
trunk.

HTH!

Eddie